Tuesday, September 6, 2011

T-Shirt Update

UPDATE!

The T-shirts (and coffee mugs) are NOW AVAILABLE!  Please visit the store at www.zazzle.com/blackisthenewpink


When I first started this "Black is the New Pink" awareness campaign, I figured I'd just write a few words in a blog and that would be that.  But then I saw so many t-shirts announcing various causes and charities, so I thought a BITNP t-shirt would be a nice way to spread the word even more.  I bought a $2 black t-shirt from AC Moore and a pack of printable iron-on sheets from OfficeMax and made my first shirt.

Frankly, it looked like a home-made printable iron-on t-shirt, but others seemed to like the design and idea.  So I made another...this time with the BITNP header on the back and the black ribbon on the pink field on the front.  I liked this design...as did others, but it still had that iron-on look.

I had other ideas.  My "Skin Cancer IS Cancer" design seemed to get a lot of positive feedback as I've found it plastered proudly on many blogs and websites.  Unfornuately, I couldn't recreate that design successfully with an iron-on...I needed professional help.

In the meantime, I've been receiving inquiries..."Where can I get that shirt?"  "Are the t-shirts for sale?"

<sigh>

I was very frustrated.  I could think of no better way of spreading the BITMP message than with t-shirts, hats, or other such trinkets.  But frankly, I'm an engineer, dammit...not a marketing director.

I was told to visit CafePress...a website where one can set-up one's own online store.  They'd manufacture the merchandise, sell it, ship it, and offer a little commission, which I'd gladly forward onto MRF or the Skin Cancer Foundation.  It seemed like a winner to me, so I started to set it up.  I decied to go with my black design with the header on the back and the ribbon on the front.  I felt that this was the best design for mass appeal.  However, once I got it designed and set-up, CafePress assigned a price of $29.99.  Yikes!  I can't ask strangers to shell out nearly 30 bucks for such a shirt when I really don't know what the quality would be.  So, I decided to not pursue this particular site.

Ironically, I logged onto Blogger to share this evolution of the BITNP t-shirt, but was side-tracked by reading a couple of other blogs first.  And wouldn't you know it, on Chelsea's blog was an ad for VistaPint...a t-shirt and merchandise website.  I quickly submitted the same design and came up with a price of just over half of the other site!  Whoo hoo!  The only problem is, they don't seem to have an "online store" system set up like CafePress.  Not to be denied, I've emailed VistaPrint with my problem and hope to hear something positive soon.

Anyhow, my original intent was to petition you...the readers...and ask if any of you have any suggestions.  Personally, I don't have the time to hand-make every shirt...and I don't have the financial means to stock-pile and ship shirts myself.  The CafePress online store concept is ideal...but I can't very well charge $30 for a t-shirt...$20 maybe, but not $30.  Heck, I can get shoes cheaper than $30.  (Have I mentioned that I could use some fashion help?)

I look forward to your comments...and I really REALLY hope to have something soon so that you might be able to wear your BITNP message as much as I do!

3 comments:

  1. There are several sites that sell shirts-check some of them out to see how they do it. I have actually bought a couple and their quality was good. spferr.webs.com hugsforstrength.com They had really great quality hats-much better in person.I tried cafepress once and had problems with them. Just a thought
    randi
    www.randisohnomelanoma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you stand with this now? I was diagnosed in March with metastatic melanoma of unknown primary. I would love to buy a shirt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please refer to the top of this posting...there's a link to Zazzle.com where you can buy t-shirts and other goodies. I hope to have even more soon...I welcome feedback for ideas.

      Delete