Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Patient Day at UNC...February 15, 2012. Be there!

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 the Melanoma Research Foundation, the University of North Carolina Division of Surgical Oncology, and the UNC Department of Dermatology will present a full day of melanoma education dedicated to melanoma patients and the people who support them.  I plan to be there!
Per the brochure, there will be a variety of topics discussed as follows:
·         Sunscreens: Can They Protect Against Skin Cancer?
·         Diagnosis of ‘Pink’ (Amelanotic) Melanoma
·         Why Does My Scar Look Like That? Understanding Surgical Margins for Melanoma
·         The Current Role of Lymph Node Surgery in Melanoma Treatment
·         High-Profile Melanoma Patients: Underutilized Resource
·         Protecting Teens from Tanning Beds: An Update about the National and State Policy Debate
·         The BRAF Story — From Target to Treatment and Beyond
·         Understanding the Biology of Melanoma Brain Metastasis as the Basis for More Rational Treatments
·         Melanoma: A Parent’s Perspective
For a list of speakers, please check the MRF website.
I think this will be a very exciting day to talk to those involved directly with melanoma research and awareness, plus a chance to meet with folks from BITNP and beyond face-to-face!
If you’re interested in attending, please go to the MRF website page to register or call (800) 673-1290.  Deadline for pre-registration is Friday, February 3.  The symposium itself will begin at 12:30 on the 15th of February and end at 4:30.  I think it will be an incredible afternoon of information and sharing.
I hope to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was still in NC I would stop by for this. When diagnosed with Melanoma I was living in GSO at the time and had my first 2 surgeries with Dr. Amos (I see he's on the agenda to talk about "why does my scar look like that?"). He was awesome and I still send him updates every now and then. Enjoy! and it will be interesting to hear his speach because I remember him telling me I'd be left with a 'sizeable defect' on my back due to the keystone flap? he had to do...
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I wish I could go.

    ReplyDelete